I got the script a while back (written by the lovely and talented chaodai ) and my first job is to come up with designs for the major new characters. Without giving away much about the script, we're introducing a worldwide crime network in this book, and there's a few major players in it that need designin'!
First, the leader of the group, described in the script as "a tall man dressed in a black Mao-Tse Tung style suit and wayfarer sunglasses." One of the great things about working with Javi on this book is that he leaves his scripts pretty open for interpretation, so then we can talk out the designs and stuff as we go.
The first design I came up with is the one at the top right, but I wasn't happy with it. The costume was pretty much set from the get-go, so I had to concentrate on the face. It looked too much like Uncle Duke from Doonesbury to me. I thought of maybe adding hair, for the center top version, but that came out looking like a cross between Marv from Sin City and Agent Graves from 100 Bullets. Then I struck on the idea of having him look like an evil version of the Middleman. I still felt kind of lost about the whole design, so I sent it to Javi and we talked about it. Javi had the idea of doing a sort of Kim-Jong Il thing but with a bowl cut, and that seemed funny, so I tried it. Then I tried a couple skinny versions, but we both liked the fat one best.
Now, the leader has a henchman, described in the script as "shorter than his leader, and has a compact, thuggy build, topped by his perpetually sneering face: a mean snicker that indicates that he knows something you don't. He always wears a gorilla suit without the mask." Javi also wanted him to look (with permission) like a specific actor, and I have not entirely succeeded at that.
Those were the only two designs we needed at this point, but I had to throw together a quick rough idea for the cover of the book. Javi had the idea of doing a very sixties mod-style James Bond-ey kind of thing with it, and I've always liked that style, so this is what I came up with, after a few changes: